FAQs About Tanning
This is the accordion body content. It is typically best to keep this area short and to the point so it isn't too overwhelming.
- Your eyes are very sensitive to UV light. Since your eyelids are the thinnest skin on your body, the UV light can penetrate through the skin to the surface of your eyes. The FDA requires that all tanners wear FDA approved eyewear when tanning indoors. Placing a towel over your face or sunglasses are not enough protection and are not permitted.
- We at South Beach Tanning Company carry a complete line of both standard and custom eye protection.
The most important reason for using a tanning lotion is that it replaces the depleted moisture that you lose during the tanning process. Dry skin reflects UV light, so if you are not using an indoor tanning lotion, you can be wasting up to 60% of your tanning session.
Each of our tanning units are in their own private room, where you can choose to wear, or not wear, whatever you feel most comfortable in.
- This depends on your skin type. Any tanning expert of our trained South Beach Team will go over your skin type with you and determine the best amount of time you should start off with.
- The ‘Golden Rule’ of smart tanning is to never overexpose! Start low and work your way up!
- Our tanning experts will start gradually increasing your exposure time until you reach the maximum time for that particular unit.
You will see some color after your first session. After about 3 or 4 sessions, you will see you are on your way to building your base tan.
Once you have achieved your desired tan maintaining it becomes relatively easy. Depending on the equipment you choose to use will vary the frequency you need to tan in order to maintain your new tan. In our Silver equipment we generally recommend 2 to 3 times per week. In our Gold equipment it drops down to 1 or 2 visits a week. If high pressure is your thing, 2 or 3 times a month is all that is needed to maintain your golden-brown tan.
- There is considerable research going on in the research of the benefits of UV exposure. It is a known fact that UV light is the main source of vitamin D for humans. Vitamin D is necessary for good health, bone formation and repair, and for the absorption of calcium in the body.
- There are also numerous other reasons, both physical and psychological, why exposure to ultraviolet light may be desirable.
As with anything you do, moderation is the key to ensuring a tan without burning. Any member of our Smart Tan certified team will evaluate your skin type upon your first visit. Based on your skin appearance and answers to a few simple questions, our team will provide you with the best exposure time to get you started. As you continue to tan, you will be able to slowly increase your session times, taking you each time closer to the desired tan you are looking to achieve.
Absolutely!! All of our memberships and sessions are useable at any location you desire. In fact, all of our locations are networked together, so just give your last name and your account will automatically be pulled up, regardless of what store you are at.
UV exposure from the tanning equipment can not affect any tissue below the surface layer of the skin. The main concern with pregnant women is the extra heat involved with tanning. For this reason, we do advise you consult with your medical doctor before continuing with any tanning regimen. Keep in mind we can freeze or hold your memberships or sessions until after the birth of your baby. We also recommend using the UV Free VersaPro if you are pregnant as there is no heat involved.
- Your kids are more than welcome to sit in the lobby and wait for you. They must be of an age that they are able to watch out for themselves. While our team will do their best to keep an eye on them, they are working so it cannot be the responsibility of them or of South Beach Tanning Company for the safety of your children. If your children are too young to sit quietly on their own, we would recommend bringing a friend along who can watch them.
- As for bringing your children in the room, the FDA strictly prohibits this. It is not good for the eyes of young children to be exposed to ultraviolet light.
There is no reason why you cannot wear your contact lenses while you tan. If you find the heat generated by the tanning bed is causing drying and discomfort, you may wish to remove them on your next visit.
Simple! Make sure we have an updated and correct mailing address for you in our computer system and make sure we have a valid email. We mail great specials periodically through-out the year and we send out email only coupons usually once a month. You don’t want to miss out on these great deals.
- At South Beach Tanning Company, cleanliness of our equipment and facility is our top priority. Each member of our South Beach team receives ongoing training and reviews as to our cleaning system. After every tanning session, the equipment is cleaned by a member of our team with only an FDA approved cleaning solution. This solution is the strongest cleaning solution on the market. The solution is tested periodically throughout the day to ensure its proper sanitizing properties are present. Further, we are regulated by the State Health Department and must follow their rigorous guidelines as it pertains to cleanliness.
- If at any time you feel there may be a problem with your bed, any member of our South Beach Team will be happy to go over our cleaning procedures with you and clean your bed again.
While we will gladly try to set you up on a program to see if we can develop a tan for you from use of the beds; however, in most cases, if you cannot achieve any kind of tan from the sun, it is unlikely you will be able to from the use of a tanning bed. If this is the case we would recommend the use of our UV-Free VersaPro.
- Easy! There is likely an early cancellation fee you will have to pay to get out of your current membership. Just bring is in a copy of your cancellation receipt, sign up for our membership, and we will give you double the amount you just paid to cancel at your other store. This amount will appear as prepaid dollars on your account and can be used for anything from lotion products to equipment upgrades.
- And don’t worry, we don’t have any long-term commitments as some of our competitors do.
- South Beach Tanning Company is currently offering qualified individuals the opportunity to expand with us and own an award winning, exciting salon that will be second to none in your area. The preliminary responses to the news of us offering franchises have been overwhelming, and with the interest being generated that we have already seen, we are now one of the top trending salon chains in the nation.
- South Beach Tanning Company is promising to deliver a streamlined, easy to use system that takes you from site selection, thru build-out and on to an exciting, upscale, and unique salon that you can call your own.
- If you would like to receive more information about owning your own South Beach, please click here to fill out an information request form. You can also browse our franchise information site to learn more about how we have clearly distinguished South Beach from the rest of the competition.